About Us

New London-Springfield Water System Precinct


  • Founded on April 28, 1925 by petition, to provide domestic water and fire protection for parts of New London and Springfield.
  • Boundaries were set May 1, 1925.
  • The Petition was signed by Fred B. Gay, Joseph Cutting, Henry W. Kidder, Joseph D. Whitcher, William A. Kidder, Fred A. Pressey, Karl M. Sholes, Arthur J. Gould, Charles E. Shepard, Elmer A. Adams, Sidney M. Pedrick, and Calvin Sargent.
  • The first legal meeting was held on May 16, 1925. There were 66 votes cast to establish the district.
  • The first Commissioners were Charles E. Shepard, Fred B. Gay and Joseph Cutting. The first Treasurer was Fred A. Pressey.
  • In 1925 a vote to raise $80,000.00 by bond to build a water system using Morgan Pond via Kidder Brook to a man-made reservoir was approved.
  • In May of 1996, after much study, and to comply with the Safe Drinking Act, six gravel pack wells were drilled on Colby Point. This caused a new pump station to be built and a new storage tank.
  • The storage tank is 80 feet in diameter, 26.6 feet deep and holds one million gallons.
  • As of this date, the Precinct has approximately 30 miles of water mains serving 875 domestic hookups and 150 commercial accounts in New London and Springfield.
  • The current number of tax-based properties for the district is 1186 in New London and 31 in Springfield. Taxes are levied on all properties located within the Precinct to defray Capital costs.

Relevant Documents